If you’re a fan of the power clean, you may be wondering if you can perform this exercise at Planet Fitness. After all, the gym chain is known for its strict rules and regulations when it comes to weightlifting.
The short answer is yes, you can do power cleans at Planet Fitness, but keep in mind you will be performing a variation of the classic power clean using a Smith machine.
Read on to learn how you can do power cleans at Planet Fitness, and also some other alternatives to the power clean you can try.
What is A Power Clean?
If you’re new to weightlifting or haven’t heard of a power clean before, you might wonder what it is.
A power clean is an explosive movement that involves lifting a barbell from the ground to your shoulders in one swift motion.
It’s a compound exercise that works multiple muscle groups, including your legs, back, shoulders, and arms.
The power clean is a popular exercise among athletes and weightlifters because it helps build strength, power, and speed.
It’s also a great way to improve your overall athleticism and coordination. While the power clean is a challenging exercise, it can be modified to suit your fitness level.
To perform a power clean, you start by standing in front of a barbell with your feet shoulder-width apart.
You then bend down and grip the bar with an overhand grip, keeping your back straight and your shoulders back.
From there, you explosively lift the barbell up to your shoulders, using your legs, hips, and shoulders to generate power.
It’s important to note that the power clean is an advanced exercise that requires proper form and technique.
If you’re new to weightlifting, it’s a good idea to work with a qualified coach or personal trainer to learn the proper mechanics before attempting the power clean.
Can You Do Power Cleans At Planet Fitness?
If you are a fan of power cleans, you may be wondering if you can perform this exercise at Planet Fitness. The short answer is yes.
Planet Fitness has a strict policy against slamming weights, grunting, or any behavior that can seem “intimidating” to others.
This includes power cleans, as they involve lifting a barbell from the ground to your shoulders in a quick and explosive motion.
Also, Planet Fitness does not carry barbells. So, you would not be able to do a classic powerclean. However, you CAN perform a variation.
While this policy may be disappointing for some, it is important to note that Planet Fitness has a focus on creating a non-intimidating and judgment-free environment for all members.
This means that they prioritize safety and comfort over heavy lifting and intense workouts.
However, this does not mean you cannot perform a variation of the classic power clean that utilizes all of the same muscle groups.
This is where the Smith rack comes in.
Related Post: Can You Get Ripped At Planet Fitness?
Benefits Of Doing Power Cleans On A Smith Rack
If you are looking for a safe and effective way to perform power cleans, then doing them on a Smith rack may be the way to go.
The Smith rack enables you to maintain a straight path instead of arcing outward and staying in a vertical path. Here are some benefits of doing power cleans on a Smith rack:
- Safer: The Smith rack provides a more stable environment for power cleans. You can adjust the safety catches to prevent the bar from falling in case you fail to lift it. This feature makes it a safer option compared to doing power cleans with free weights.
- More controlled: With a Smith rack, you can control the bar’s movement more effectively. This feature is especially useful for beginners who are still perfecting their form. You can also adjust the bar’s height to suit your needs.
- Targets multiple muscle groups: Power cleans are a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups, including the shoulders, back, glutes, and legs. Doing them on a Smith rack allows you to focus on the movement and engage these muscle groups more effectively.
- Improves explosive power: Power cleans are an explosive exercise that requires you to lift the bar with maximum force. Doing them on a Smith rack allows you to focus on the movement and improve your explosive power without making a ton of noise and slamming weights.
- Improves overall fitness: Power cleans are a challenging exercise that can improve your overall fitness levels. Doing them on a Smith rack allows you to perform the exercise safely and effectively, allowing you to reap the benefits of this compound exercise.
Overall, doing power cleans on a Smith rack is a safe and effective way to perform this compound exercise.
It allows you to focus on the movement and engage multiple muscle groups, improving your overall fitness levels.
How To Do Power Cleans At Planet Fitness
If you’re looking to do power cleans at Planet Fitness, you can use the Smith rack to perform this exercise. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by setting the bar at a height that allows you to perform the exercise comfortably. The bar should be at about knee level.
- Load the bar with an appropriate weight. Remember, power cleans are a complex and demanding exercise, so start with a weight that you can handle comfortably. You can always increase the weight as you get stronger and more comfortable with the exercise.
- Stand facing the bar with your feet shoulder-width apart. Your toes should be pointing slightly outward.
- Reach down and grab the bar with an overhand grip. Your hands should be slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your hips and bend your knees slightly to get into a starting position. Your back should be straight, and your chest should be up.
- Begin the exercise by driving your hips forward and explosively pulling the bar up towards your chest. As the bar reaches chest level, quickly drop under the bar and catch it in a front squat position.
- Stand up with the bar and repeat the exercise for the desired number of reps.
Remember, power cleans are a complex exercise that requires proper form and technique.
It is easy to cause damage to shoulders or lower back if not taking the proper precautions.
It’s better to start with a lighter weight and work on your form than to risk injury by using too much weight.
Powerclean Safety at Planet Fitness
When it comes to performing power cleans at Planet Fitness, safety should always be your top priority.
This means prioritizing proper form over weight and speed. By doing so, you can reduce your risk of injury and ensure that you are getting the most out of your workout.
To start, make sure you are using proper form when performing power cleans.
This means keeping your back straight, hips low, and elbows out.
Additionally, make sure you are using a weight that is appropriate for your fitness level. It’s better to start with a moderate weight that is not too heavy than to risk injury by lifting too much weight.
When performing power cleans, it’s also important to use a moderate speed that is not too fast.
This will help you maintain control of the weight and reduce your risk of injury. Remember, it’s better to perform the exercise correctly at a slower speed than to rush through it and risk injury.
In addition to prioritizing form, weight, and speed, it’s also important to be aware of your surroundings when performing power cleans at Planet Fitness.
Make sure you are not blocking any walkways or equipment, and be mindful of other gym-goers around you.
By following these safety tips, you can safely and effectively perform power cleans at Planet Fitness.
Remember to always prioritize proper form, use a moderate weight, and maintain a moderate speed to reduce your risk of injury and get the most out of your workout.
Alternatives to Power Cleans at Planet Fitness
If you’re looking for an alternative to power cleans at Planet Fitness, there are plenty of exercises you can do to work the same muscle groups.
Here are some options using other equipment or dumbbells/kettlebells:
- Deadlifts: Deadlifts are a great exercise for building strength in your lower body, including your glutes, hamstrings, and quads. They also work your core and lower back muscles. To perform a deadlift, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, bend your knees and hinge at your hips to lower the weight down to the ground, then stand up straight again.
- Hang cleans: Hang cleans are similar to power cleans, but instead of starting from the ground, you start with the bar at hip height. This exercise works your hamstrings, glutes, and upper back muscles. To perform a hang clean, hold the bar with an overhand grip and lift it to your shoulders in one fluid motion.
- Dumbbell or kettlebell cleans: If you don’t have access to a barbell, you can still work your muscles with dumbbell or kettlebell cleans. These exercises are similar to hang cleans, but you’re holding a weight in each hand instead of using a barbell. To perform a dumbbell or kettlebell clean, hold the weight in each hand and lift it to your shoulders in one fluid motion.
- Box jumps: Box jumps are a great way to work your legs and glutes while also improving your cardiovascular fitness. To perform a box jump, stand in front of a sturdy box or platform, then jump up onto it, landing with both feet on top of the box. Step down and repeat.
Remember, there are plenty of exercises you can do to work the same muscle groups as power cleans, even if you don’t have access to a barbell.
Mix and match exercises to create a workout that works for you.
There you have it, it is possible to do a variation of the classic power clean using equipment at Planet Fitness such as a Smith machine.
Planet Fitness has a reputation for being a gym that discourages heavy lifting and bodybuilding.
While they do have a “no judgment” policy, they also have a strict set of rules regarding certain exercises.
If you’re a powerlifter or Olympic weightlifter, Planet Fitness may not be the best gym for you.
However, if you’re just starting out or looking for a low-cost gym option, Planet Fitness can be a great choice to get in shape.
They offer a variety of cardio equipment, weight machines, and free weights that can help you achieve your fitness goals without putting a major dent in your wallet.
Remember, it’s always important to take it slow and focus on form when attempting any new exercises, especially if you’re not familiar with proper form and technique.
You must do all that you can to prevent being injured.
While power cleans can be a great way to build strength and explosiveness, they can also be dangerous if not performed correctly.
Have fun getting those gains!