You’re going to love this guilt free recipe for low calorie chocolate chip cookie cheesecake.
If you are counting calories and thinking you can’t enjoy a piece of creamy, sweet, tangy cheesecake with chocolate chip cookies, you’re in for a surprise.
Each piece of this cheesecake contains a whopping 140 calories PER SLICE with topping included.
You can dive in and have 2 pieces if you want to!
Read on and learn how to make it yourself.
Why You Will Love This Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake
With low calories, this cheesecake offers a healthier alternative to the traditional high calorie and high fat cheesecakes.
Many of us who are watching our calorie intake would appreciate a delicious and satisfying dessert that won’t sabotage our plan.
- It’s low in calories.
Regular cheesecake can contain anywhere from 320 to 500 calories per slice depending on the flavor.
This cheesecake will only run you 140 calories per slice and if you cut the pieces even smaller, it will contain even less calories per slice.
- Lighter flavor.
This calorie utilizes fat free Greek yogurt, low fat sour cream and Neufchatel cheese, which is still a good source of protein and calcium like regular cream cheese. It is also lower in fat and calories than regular cream cheese.
- Light topping.
The topping on this low calorie chocolate chip cookie cheesecake is perfect and matches well with the cheesecake filling. It is light and airy to balance the cheesecake, but it is also low in calories.
You also get a burst of chocolate chip cookie on the top as well.
- Easy to make.
This cheesecake only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, and with 20 minutes baking time, you just have to wait for it to chill.
There is no water bath, no cool down, none of that. It’s simple.
- Short bake time.
If you hate sitting and waiting for your desserts in the oven to be done and checking on them over and over, this cheesecake is done in 20 minutes tops.
In no time at all, you can satisfy your sweet tooth.
The ingredients in this cheesecake are not very complex and you may already have most of them on hand.
The only exception to this may be the chocolate chip cookies. I get mine at Walmart. They are Great Value brand and are in the cookie aisle. They come in a box of 12.
These chocolate chip cookies are only 120 calories per pack which makes them perfect for low calorie recipes.
Of course, you can use any brand of chocolate chip cookies you want to, you just need to make sure you are logging the calories they contain. Brand of mini cookies such as Grandma’s brand would do.
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt- 120 calories
- 1/4 cup Neufchatel cheese- 140 calories
- 1 tbsp. light sour cream- 15 calories
- 1 snack pack of chocolate chip calories- 120 calories
- 1 tsp vanilla extract- 12 calories
- 1 egg- 80 calories
- 1/4-1/2 cup erythritol sweetener
- 1/2 tub reduced fat Cool Whip- 250 calories
- 1 snack pack of chocolate chip cookies (Great Value Chocolate Chippers from Walmart)- 120 calories
How To Make It
You will need to first preheat your oven to 325 degrees. There is no need for a water bath for this cheesecake. Just simply preheat the oven and get your ingredients ready to mix.
Get your pan ready. A good pan choice for this cheesecake is a 7 inch springform pan to allow for easy removal of the cheesecake from the pan.
If you don’t have a springform pan, use a similar size round pan of any kind.
Place your room temperature Neufchatel cheese in the stand mixer and blend on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it is completely smooth. You do not want any lumps in the cheese. Be sure to scrape the bowl to avoid lumps.
After you have creamed for Neufchatel cheese, now you can add in your fat free Greek yogurt and sour cream. Mix for about a minute or until full combined. Scrape bowl once more and do another quick mix.
The next step is to add in your egg. Blend for about a minute until the egg is fully incorporated into the cheese, Greek yogurt, and sour cream.
Now you can add in your artificial sweetener. I used 1/2 cup of erythritol sweetener, but you can use any kind you like or are comfortable with.
Now for the final step, cookies. Crush your cookies while in the bag and then add your cookies into the batter and blend just until incorporated on low speed. You can even fold these in if you want to with a spoon.
You should have your 7 inch springform pan ready and sprayed or lined with parchment on the bottom.
Add your batter into the pan and place in the 325 degree oven.
Bake the cheesecake for 20 minutes. You want to be careful not to overbake. The cheesecake is done when it is no longer jiggly and it looks slightly puffed.
Once finished, allow your cheesecake to cool at room temperature before adding your reduced fat Cool Whip on top.
Once the cheesecake is completely cooled, you can add half of the tub of reduced fat Cool Whip to the top of the cheesecake and spread it to cover.
The last step is to cover with your second pack of chocolate chip cookies and stick it in the fridge.
It should only take a minimum of two hours to cool enough to be able to enjoy.
Once the cheesecake is completely cool, release your springform pan or lift from round pan you have chosen if not using the springform pan.
Cut the cheesecake into 6 equal pieces and enjoy!
- Make sure your Neufchatel cheese is room temperature.
You can leave your cheese out on the counter for a few hours or even the night before if you want to.
If you realize you forgot to leave it out to come to temp, just microwave on 50% power for about a minute. Mixing the Neufchatel cheese while cold can make it more difficult to blend and get the lumps out.
- Spray or parchment your pan!
This step is crucial for easy release from the pan. The last thing you want is a beautiful cheesecake you can’t get out of the pan!
- Mix Neufchatel cheese until smooth and creamy.
Make sure you blend your Neufchatel cheese until it is smooth. You do not want to bite into your cheesecake and bite into a lump of Neufchatel cheese.
Don’t forget to scrape the bowl occasionally as well.
- Be careful not to overbake.
This cheesecake does not take long to be AT ALL. It is usually done at 20 minutes in my oven.
If using a dark pan, start checking it at about 17-18 minutes so that is doesn’t burn.
- Use a smaller springform pan for a thicker cheesecake.
The smaller your pan, the thicker the cheesecake will be.
- Keep covered when refrigerating.
When you stick this cheesecake in the fridge, be sure to keep it covered. This will help it to stay fresh and keep the flavor packed inside.
- Good in the fridge for 5-7 days.
When I make this low calorie cheesecake, it lasts me up to a max of 7 days in my fridge.
Make It Even Lower Calorie
Curious on how you can make this low calorie chocolate chip cheesecake even ore lower calorie?
Here are some tips for you to think about:
- Use less Neufchatel cheese (1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup.)
This will shave about 23 calories off your final piece of cheesecake.
- Use egg whites and no yolks.
Most of the calories in eggs come from the yolk. You can save on calories by not using the yolk.
If you do this, add the egg whites from two eggs to make sure the cheesecake sets properly and has the correct texture.
- Leave off one or both toppings.
While the topping to this cheesecake is so delicious, you don’t need to put it on if you don’t want to!
If you do choose to leave the topping and cookies off, you will save about 60 calories per piece!
- Cut into 8 pieces instead of 6.
This would make each of your cheesecake 105 calories. Even better!
Related Recipe: 160 Calorie Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I have to use a springform pan?
You do not have to use a springform pan. I realize not everyone has these pans. If you do not have a springform pan, just use a round cake pan and line with parchment.
Can you use a different kind of yogurt?
I have not personally tried this, but it may be possible. I would be concerned about the batter being a little too thin because you will not have the stability from the Greek yogurt. But you can always try it!
Can I leave out the eggs?
I do not recommend leaving out eggs. The egg gives the cheesecake its texture and also helps it to set.
If you want to leave out the yolk this would be fine. You can just use the whites of two eggs.
Can I freeze this cheesecake?
Yes, you can freeze this cheesecake. I recommend not freezing longer than 2 months. Also, make sure to keep the cheesecake sealed.
Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake- 140 Calories
- 1 stand mixer hand mixer
- 1 7 inch springform pan or regular cake pan of the same size
- 1 cup Fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Neufchatel cheese room temperature
- 1 tbsp Light Sour Cream
- 1 pack Snack pack of chocolate chip cookies I use Great Value brand from Walmart. Crushed.
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- 1/4-1/2 cup Erythritol artificial sweetener Add more if you want batter sweeter
- 1/2 container Reduced fat Cool Whip Can use generic brand
- 1 Snack pack of chocolate chip cookies Crushed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare springform pan with spray or parchment paper and place aside.
- Place your room temperature Neufchatel cheese in the stand mixer and blend on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it is completely smooth. Scrape bowl and mix again until smooth.
- Add in fat free Greek yogurt and sour cream. Mix for about a minute or until fully combined. Scrape bowl once more and do another quick mix.
- Add egg and blend for one minute until incorporated completely.
- Add in chosen amount of artificial sweetener and mix. Taste batter and add more sweetener if you want a sweeter cheesecake.
- Add pack of crushed cookies to the batter and mix on low speed or fold in with spoon.
- Add batter to prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees.
- When cheesecake is finished baking, allow to cool completely. Once cooled, add half of the tub of reduced fat Cool Whip to the top of the cheesecake and spread it to cover.
- Add second pack of crushed chocolate chip cookies over the entire top and return to the fridge for at least two hours.
- Release from pan and cut into 6 even pieces.
- Plate and enjoy!